Monday, May 6, 2013

Spring Bulbs

Bulbs are amazing. I'm declaring them so. As dozens of surprise packages are sprouting across the yard, I stand with my arms raised in victory, gleefully laughing and saying, "Look! No hands!"

Bulbs are my first victory as a gardener, even if somebody else planted them long ago and my only part in their success was raking leaves away. Maybe some of these plants are really perennials. Perennial bulbs? Are there annual bulbs? Oh, I'm making things up, but either way, I'm thankful for them and making note to plant more in the fall.

(Gardening Truth: Bulbs are perennials and will come back each year unless your conditions kill them off - remember zones? If that is the case, you use them as you would annuals. Also, some summer-flowering bulbs are planted in spring. This information comes courtesy of the ever knowledgable and patient Stacey, co-worker and plant genius. Thanks!)

First came these little gems, identified as Siberian Squill.
Then came the daffodils.
Kicking it now are violets, which are perennials and not bulbs (our little secret).

Coming up next are the Lily of the Valley, favorites of mine since I was a wee one.

No comments:

Post a Comment